Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin has 17.1 million acres of forests and is 49% forested.
- Wisconsin forest carbon stocks have increased by 11% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Wisconsin forests is 20.7 US tons per acre.
- In Wisconsin, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 15% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 43 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.