Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in New York
- New York has 18.9 million acres of forests and is 63% forested.
- New York forest carbon stocks have increased by 11% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across New York forests is 32.4 US tons per acre.
- In New York, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 14% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 44 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.