Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in the Southeastern Region
- The Southeastern region has 89.7 million acres of forests and is 61% forested. Southeastern region forest carbon stocks have increased by 22% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across
Southeastern region forests is 22.7 US tons per acre.
- In the Southeastern region, forests, urban trees, and
harvested wood products:
- Remove 21% of all CO2 emissions across the states. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 34 years of all CO2 emissions produced across the states.