Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Wyoming
- Wyoming has 9.8 million acres of forests and is 16% forested.
- Wyoming forest carbon stocks have decreased by 13% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Wyoming forests is 13.2 US tons per acre.
- In Wyoming, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove a minimal amount of all CO2 emissions in the state after taking into account forest mortality. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 28 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.