Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in the Western Region
- The Western region has 207.2 million acres of forests and is 28% forested.
- Western region forest carbon stocks have increased by 3% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Western region forests is 21.1 US tons per acre.
- In the Western region, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 5% of all CO2 emissions across the states. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 65 years of all CO2 emissions produced across the states.