Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Washington
- Washington has 22.2 million acres of forests and is 52% forested.
- Washington forest carbon stocks have increased by 6% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Washington forests is 41.9 US tons per acre.
- In Washington, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 29% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 122 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.