Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Virginia
- Virginia has 16.0 million acres of forests and is 63% forested.
- Virginia forest carbon stocks have increased by 32% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Virginia forests is 33.1 US tons per acre.
- In Virginia, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 40% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 47 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.