Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Tennessee
- Tennessee has 14.0 million acres of forests and is 53% forested.
- Tennessee forest carbon stocks have increased by 18% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Tennessee forests is 31.2 US tons per acre.
- In Tennessee, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 18% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 38 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.