Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in the Southcentral
- The Southcentral region has 131.9 million acres of forests and is 34% forested.
- Southcentral region forest carbon stocks have increased by 20% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Southcentral region forests is 17.1 US tons per acre.
- In the Southcentral region, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 11% of all CO2 emissions across the states. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 20 years of all CO2 emissions produced across the states.