Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania has 16.9 million acres of forests and is 59% forested.
- Pennsylvania forest carbon stocks have increased by 12% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Pennsylvania forests is 33.9 US tons per acre.
- In Pennsylvania, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 9% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 27 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.