Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in the Northeast Region
- The Northeastern region has 50.9 million acres of forest and is 72% forested.
- Northeastern region forest carbon stocks have increased by 9% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across
- Northeastern region forests is 29.0 US tons per acre.
- In the Northeastern region, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 18% of all CO2 emissions across the states. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 58 years of all CO2 emissions produced across the states.