Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Nebraska
- Nebraska has 1.5 million acres of forests and is 3% forested.
- Nebraska forest carbon stocks have increased by 5% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Nebraska forests is 16.3 US tons per acre.
In Nebraska, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 1% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of seven years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.