Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Montana
- Montana has 25.5 million acres of forests and is 27% forested.
- Montana forest carbon stocks have decreased by 4% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Montana forests is 15.8 US tons per acre.
In Montana, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove a minimal amount of all CO2 emissions in the state after taking into account forest mortality. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 222 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.