Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Mississippi
- Mississippi has 19.4 million acres of forests and is 65% forested.
- Mississippi forest carbon stocks have increased by 50% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Mississippi forests is 27.2 US tons per acre.
In Mississippi, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 76% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 65 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.