Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Minnesota
- Minnesota has 17.4 million acres of forests and is 34% forested.
- Minnesota forest carbon stocks have increased by 8% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Minnesota forests is 15.5 US tons per acre.
In Minnesota, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 14% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is also 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 50 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.