Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts has 3.0 million acres of forests and is 61% forested.
- Massachusetts forest carbon stocks have increased by 12% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Massachusetts forests is 38.5 US tons per acre.
In Massachusetts, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 8% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 18 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.