Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Maryland
- Maryland has 2.5 million acres of forests and is 39% forested.
- Maryland forest carbon stocks have increased by 21% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Maryland forests is 39.7 US tons per acre.
In Maryland, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 8% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 16 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.