Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Louisiana
- Louisiana has 15.0 million acres of forests and is 54% forested.
- Louisiana forest carbon stocks have increased by 10% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Louisiana forests is 23.2 US tons per acre.•
In Louisiana, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 8% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 15 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.