Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in the Lake States
- The Lake States region has 62.0 million acres of forests and is 21% forested.
- Lake States region forest carbon stocks have increased by 8% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Lake States region forests is 19.3 US tons per acre.
In the Lake States region, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 8% of all CO2 emissions across the states. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 30 years of all CO2 emissions produced across the states.