Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Kentucky
- Kentucky has 12.4 million acres of forests and is 49% forested.
- Kentucky forest carbon stocks have increased by 18% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Kentucky forests is 29.6 US tons per acre.
In Kentucky, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 13% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 28 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.