Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Illinois
- Illinois has 5.0 million acres of forests and is 14% forested.
- Illinois forest carbon stocks have increased by 14% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Illinois forests is 26.7 US tons per acre.
In Illinois, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 2% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of six years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.