Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in Idaho
- Idaho has 21.4 million acres of forests and is 40% forested.
- Idaho forest carbon stocks have decreased by 1% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across Idaho forests is 20.5 US tons per acre.
In Idaho, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove a minimal amount of all CO2 emissions in the state after taking into account forest mortality. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 335 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.