Quick Facts on Forest Carbon in California
- California has 31.5 million acres of forests and is 32% forested.
- California forest carbon stocks have increased by 10% from 1990 to 2019.
- Average carbon density in aboveground trees across California forests is 33.9 US tons per acre.
In California, forests, urban trees, and harvested wood products:
- Remove 9% of all CO2 emissions in the state. (Across the US, this value is 14%.)
- Store the equivalent of 30 years of all CO2 emissions produced in the state.