2021 FRA Western Region Virtual Fall Meeting
We had great plans for the first in-person region meeting in close to two years for our Western Region Fall Meeting. Alas, COVID-19 messed with our plans once again. In mid-September, we made the difficult decision to move everything to a virtual Zoom meeting.
Sixty-six registrants joined us throughout the two-day event to learn from our amazing line-up of speakers. The audience was diverse and included representation from logging businesses, pulp/paper mills, landowners, non-profit associations, equipment companies, truckers, sawmills, and consultants.
DETAILED PROGRAM – 2021 FRA Western Region Virtual Fall Meeting
Tuesday, October 5, 2021 – Moderator Dale Lemmons, Signature Transport/Outgoing WR Steering Committee Chair
- Log Procurement – PNW and Southern US Differences – Bill Higgins (Idaho Forest Group)
- Oregon Fires, Aftermath – Rob Freres (Freres Lumber)
- Insurance Industry Perspective on Increasing Insurance Costs – Bryan Graham (Associated Insurance Services, LLC)
- Maximizing Trucking Efforts Panel
- Jeremy Light/Aaron Reichert (Weyerhaeuser)
- John Holte (Roseburg)
- Justin McCullough (SUTCO)
Wednesday, October 6, 2021 – Moderator Jeff Marthaller, Weyerhaeuser/Incoming WR Steering Committee Chair
- What Happened to Markets During the Pandemic? – Brooks Mendell (FORISK)
- In It for the Long Haul – Richard Schwab (TEAM Safe Trucking)
- FRA National and Lobbying Update – Tim O’Hara (FRA)
- New Leadership, Continued Passion – Scott Dane (American Loggers Council)
- Mass Timber Market Update – Arnie Didier (Forest Business Network)
In the next few weeks, the Western Region Steering Committee will have a Zoom meeting to complete the final piece of what we would have done during the fall region meeting events. It is always good to end with the region leadership discussing what is ahead for the next year and beyond.
The presentations from all speakers who utilized technology are available on the FRA members only portion of the website. There is much insight and knowledge included in the presentations.
Fortunately, we have negotiated with the Coeur d’Alene Resort for a postponed in-person event at their impressive facility in beautiful Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, for early October 2022. See you there!!
Finally, one last shout out to our amazing meeting sponsors. Thank you!
Platinum Level: Hermann Brothers, Pacific Fibre, Willis Enterprises
Gold Level: Idaho Forest Group
Silver Level: Sutco Group International
Bronze Level: Port Blakely, Signature Transport