Thank you to those who attended the 2018 Lake States Fall Meeting in Wausau, WI. We hope you found the meeting educational and informative, and a good opportunity to network with peers.
A special thank you to all who presented at the meeting. Presentations which were approved to share have been posted to the FRA website and you can CLICK HERE to view. You will need to sign in as a member to view the presentations. If you have difficulty accessing the members only section of the FRA website, please contact me directly.
- Northern Long Eared Bat Habitat Conservation Plan Update – Fred Souba, Administrator, Division of Forestry, WI DNR
- SFI Small Lands Program – Gordy Mouw, Director of Program Participant Relations, SFI
- Trucking Challenges – Jeff Herkert, President, McCoy Construction and Forestry
- Lake States Region Timber Resources – Pete Coutu, Forest2Market
- Training Truck Drivers – Karl Pinter, Instructor / Department Chair, Chippewa Valley Technical College
- TEAM Safe Trucking – Miranda Gowell, Special Projects Manager, TST
- Logger Business Survey MN, MI & WI – Charlie Blinn, UMN and Mark Rickenbach, UW-Madison
- A Case Study in Using Field Immersion Activities in the Training of New Foresters – Michael Demchik, UW-Stevens Point
- Talent Attraction Initiative – Steven Janke, Statewide Veterans Field Representative, Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs
- FRA Policy Update – Tim O’Hara, FRA Manager, Lake States Region and Policy Communications
OUTSTANDING LOGGER AWARD
Congratulations to Cliff Shermer of Shermer Logging in Gheen, MN who was the recipient of the 2018 FRA Lake States Region Outstanding Logger Award. Cliff was present at the meeting to receive a check for $250 and a chainsaw gift certificate, both generously donated by STIHL. Cliff will go forward as a candidate for the FRA National Outstanding Logger Award, the winner of which will be announced at the 2019 FRA Annual Meeting, May 20-22.
LOG A LOAD FOR KIDS
$765 was raised for Log A Load For Kids at the silent auction on September 18. Thank you to all who donated and purchased auction items!
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
The FRA 2018 Lake States Fall Meeting was approved for CFE-SAF credit in Category 1: 7.0 hrs; Category 2: 1.5 hrs. Sign-in sheets have been submitted to the SAF national office. Meeting attendees may also qualify for SFI Continuing Education credits in Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as for Wisconsin Cooperating Forester credits. Please let me know if you need any assistance or have questions regarding obtaining proper credit for your meeting attendance.
Thank you to our Lake States Fall Meeting Sponsors. This was a record year for Lake States meeting sponsorship, and we are incredibly thankful for the support.
- Compeer Financial
- Erickson Timber
- Expera Specialty Solutions
- Healthy Forests, Healthy Communities
- Kretz Lumber
- McCoy Construction and Forestry
- Packaging Corporation of America
- SFI Implementation Committee, MN
- SFI, WI
- WI SIC
- 3LOG Systems