Please disregard an earlier posting of this blog due to errors made in the proofing process.
Last month, FRA’s Western Region and the Montana Wood Products Association (MWPA) collaborated in Whitefish, Montana to host a joint fall meeting. This two-and-a-half-day event featured 110 people coming together to discuss the forest industry, network, and learn from 16 presentations.
This is the second time the two groups have combined their fall meetings. The first time was in 2010. If the trend continues, we can look forward to meeting in beautiful Montana again – in 2024!
On Tuesday, September 19th, many attendees participated in the Activity Day, where clay shooting, fishing, and golf were offered. This networking day wrapped up with the ever-popular Icebreaker Reception.
Wednesday, September 20th brought the FRA WR Policy Committee Meeting, and the MWPA Board Meeting, followed by the Technical Seminar. The presentations for the seminar are dedicated to fitting into three region sub-committees: Fiber Quality, Forestry/ Biomass/ Environmental, and Transportation. Following are the speakers from each group:
Fiber Quality Sub Committee, Moderator: Tom Ray, Weyerhaeuser
- Shaney Neuharth/Robert Crosswhite (Weyerhaeuser) – Medium Density Fiberboard Chipper Innovations
- Rick Levine (Power Screens of Washington) – Wood and Rock Recovery Systems
- James Erickson (KapStone) – Chip Quality Initiative
Forestry/Biomass/Environmental Sub Committee, Moderator: Greg Frohn, Avista
- Matt Mattioda (Miller Timber Services) – Innovations in Tethered and Cut-to-Length Logging
- David Smith (Oregon State University) – Biomass Enterprise Economic Model
- Kurtis Vaagen (Vaagen Brothers) – Wood Utilization after Wildfires
Transportation Sub Committee; Moderator: Brad Markin, Sutco Contracting
- Susan Reszczynski (EROAD) – Electronic Logging Device Demo
- Jon Lucich (Veneer Chip Transport) – ELDs, Real World Experiences/Examples
- Ross Lane (BNSF) – Rail Update for Montana
- Jim Lewis (Montana Rail Link) – Shortline Rail Update for Montana
- 2017 Timberman of the Year: Paul McKenzie
- 2017 Communicator of the Year: Lorin Hicks
- 2017 Logger of the Year: Leelyn Cahoon
- 2017 President’s Award: Tom Troxel
- 2017 Western Region Technical Writing Award: AEM Forestry Equipment Council (Nate Burton), for the Technical Release titled “Reduce Chain Shot Risk.”
- 2017 Western Region Outstanding Logger: Leelyn Cahoon/Bull Creek Forestry
General Session Speakers,
Moderators: Bruce Brewer/Idaho Forest Group, FRA WR Policy Committee Chair
Paul McKenzie/FH Stoltze Land & Lumber, MWPA President
- Bob Flynn (RISI) – Global Market Update
- Christine Dawe (United States Forest Service) – Region One Update
- Bill Imbergamo (Federal Forest Resources Coalition) – Federal Forests Update
- Rocky Goodnow (Forest Economic Advisors) – From Where Will the Fiber Come?
- Craig Rawlings/Arnie Didie (Forest Business Network) – Mass Timber – 21st Century is the Century of Wood
- Steve Lovett (Softwood Lumber Board) – Changing How America Builds, An Update from the Softwood Lumber Board
The presentations from all speakers who utilized technology are on the FRA Members Only portion of the website. There is much insight and knowledge included in the fifteen .pdfs. Check them out here: https://forestresources.org/western-region-meeting-papers-presentations