Matt Bumgardner, Research Forest Products Technologist for the USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station (Delaware, OH); Gary Keaton, General Manager for Mountaineer Forest Management LLC (Crab Orchard, WV); and Joe Currie, Director of Harvest Operations & Forest Engineering for Lyme Timber Co. & Mountaineer Mechanized LLC (Crab Orchard, WV) presented on forestry issues relevant to the Appalachian Region.
Matt Bumgardner provided a Hardwood Lumber Market Overview. This covered the following:
- Discussion of hardwood lumber statistics;
- Lumber and timber supply and demand changes, current situation, and trends;
- Some coverage of hardwood export and import statistics;
- Big-picture thoughts on trade, consumer preferences, etc. and how that could impact Appalachian hardwood forestry and the wood products industry.
Gary Keaton and Joe Currie spoke on Cable-Assist/Tethered Logging Operation. This covered the following:
- How Lyme Timber Company has supported a new, safer harvesting system in the mountains of West Virginia to facilitate regeneration harvests. This “tethered logging and cable-assist yarding system” has been introduced from the western U.S. and holds promise to make some harvests feasible that previously were too difficult to undertake;
Overview of the operational aspect of this new type of operation.