Longleaf, LA – The Forest Resources Association and STIHL Incorporated honored Cunningham Wood Products of Spurger, Texas, as FRA’s Southcentral Region 2020 Outstanding Logger at its Southcentral Region (SCR) Awards Dinner in Longleaf, Louisiana on March 11th.
Growing up in Louisiana, Tommy Cunningham began his career at a young age, working for his dad, getting the crews to the woods, and eventually driving a pulpwood truck to the mill. In his late teens, the family moved to Texas and Tommy worked his way up, first as an employee of a logging business, then ran a crew for a logger for 5 years before buying a few pieces of equipment and starting on his own. Today, Tommy’s company, Cunningham Wood Products, runs three crews in East Texas producing 35 to 40 loads per day, primarily in first and second thinnings. While you would think this is a full-time job, it is not Tommy’s primary occupation, as he felt the call to preach and started a church 17 years ago. He has been a guest speaker across the South, and recently started a new church in Jasper, Texas. Tommy’s success as a logger is due, in a large part, to a great group of loyal employees who keep things running.
Some of the things that makes Cunningham Wood Products an outstanding company are as follows:
• No Worker’s Compensation Claims since they have been in business.
• Excellent DOT Compliance program - They worked with DOT to develop a compliance form and trained their drivers to perform the inspections. If any truck or trailer is not road worthy, it is immediately sent to the shop for repairs.
• Industry Involvement – Tommy is the current Vice-Chair of the Texas Logging Council. He and 6 of his foremen are Pro-Logger Certified.
• Satisfied business partners – Whether it’s landowners, consultants or consuming mills, there is nothing but praise for the relationship, driven by honesty, professionalism, performance and quality.
• Community and association involvement - Beyond being a pastor, there is much more that Tommy does for the community. Examples are providing all the fuel for the Spurger Volunteer Fire Department, sponsoring multiple youth sports programs and supporting the Zavalla Food Pantry. Additionally, on the second Saturday of each month, Tommy’s church feeds veterans, to show appreciation for their service.
At the March 11th Awards Dinner, FRA’s SCR Chairman David Cupp presented Tommy with a wooden crosscut-saw plaque, and STIHL Southwest’s Billy Tutt presented him with a STIHL MS 462 chain saw gift certificate and $250 check. Upon accepting the award, Tommy credited God, his family and employees as contributing to the company’s success, as well as the strong relationships he has with organizations in the supply chain.
FRA’s Outstanding Logger Award program is designed to raise the visibility of professional logging contractors and to encourage other loggers to adopt the performance of the award winners. The Regional Award winner becomes a nominee for FRA’s National Outstanding Logger recognition.
The Forest Resources Association Inc. is a nonprofit trade association concerned with the safe, efficient, and sustainable harvest of forest products and their transport from woods to mill. FRA represents wood consumers, independent logging contractors, and wood dealers, as well as businesses providing products and services to the forest resource-based industries.
STIHL Incorporated serves as the sponsor of FRA’s Regional and National Outstanding Logger Awards.
Photo: Cunningham Wood Products., winner of FRA’s 2020 Southcentral Region (SCR) Outstanding Logger Award.
Left to right: Billy Tutt with Stihl Southwest, Ouida and Tommy Cunningham, & David Cupp (FRA SCR Chairman)
RELEASE: March 26, 2020
CONTACT: David West (360-430-3558; [email protected])