Thank you to those who attended the 2019 Lake States Fall Meeting in Duluth, MN. We hope you found the meeting educational and informative, and a good opportunity to network with peers.
A special thank you to all who presented at the meeting. Presentations which were approved to share have been posted to the FRA website and you can CLICK HERE to view, or visit www.forestresources.org and click on Resources / Papers and Presentations / Lake States. You will need to sign in as a member to view the presentations. If you have difficulty accessing the members only section of the FRA website, please contact me directly.
- Training the Next Generation of Foresters: University of Minnesota's Forest and Natural Resource Management Undergraduate Program - Michael Kilgore, Professor and Head, Dept. of Forest Resources, College of Food Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences, U of MN, St. Paul.
- Results and Lessons Learned in Developing New Stand Level Growth and Yield Models for MN, WI and MI from FIA Data - Alan Ek, Professor Emeritus, Department of Forest Resources, U of MN, St. Paul.
- NCASI – Technical Support and Research for Forest Landowners in the Lake States - Kevin A. Solarik, PhD, Director of Forestry Research, Canada and Northeastern/Northcentral U.S., National Council for Air and Stream Improvement (NCASI)
- The Changing Energy Landscape: Customer Expectations, Policy and the Challenges for Biomass - Frank Frederickson, Vice President Customer Experience, Minnesota Power
- Forest Industry Trends Driving the Global and Lake States Markets - Thomas Bennett, Timber & Fiber Market Analyst, Forest2Market
- Wood Innovations and Mass Timber Supply Chain - Brian Brashaw, Project Manager, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
- From Forest to Mill—Leveraging a Digital Supply Chain - Jeff Widmer, Director, Sales and Marketing, Trimble (Formerly 3LOG Systems)
- Timber Security: Wood Theft is Not Always the Problem - Aaron Gilland, Certified Fraud Examiner, Dendro Resource Management
- FRA Public Policy Review - Tim O’Hara, FRA Government Affairs & Lake States Region Manager
Congressman Pete Stauber (R-MN-8) attended the reception on October 8, and discussed the economic importance of the forest products industry in his district. The Congressman stated that the national forests of Minnesota need to more actively manage Forest Service lands to meet the allowable sale quantity of timber harvest identified in forest plans.
OUTSTANDING LOGGER AWARD
Congratulations to Jeremy Stecker of JATCO in Duluth, MN, who was the recipient of the 2019 FRA Lake States Region Outstanding Logger Award. Jeremy was present at the meeting to receive a check for $250 and a chainsaw gift certificate, both generously donated by STIHL. Jeremy requested his $250 award go to Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare. He will now go forward as a candidate for the FRA National Outstanding Logger Award, the winner of which will be announced at the 2020 FRA Annual Meeting, May 18-20 in Austin, TX.
$1,525 was raised for Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare at the silent auction on October 8, and combined with the $250 Outstanding Logger prize money for a total donation of $1,775. Thank you to all who contributed and purchased auction items!
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
The FRA 2019 Lake States Fall Meeting was approved for CFE-SAF credit in Category 1: 11.0 hrs. Sign-in sheets have been submitted to the SAF national office. Meeting attendees may also qualify for SFI Continuing Education credits in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as for Wisconsin Cooperating Forester credits. Please let me know if you need any assistance or have questions regarding obtaining credit for your meeting attendance.
Thank you to our Lake States Fall Meeting Sponsors. This was a record year for Lake States meeting sponsorship, and we are incredibly thankful for the support.
- Ahlstrom Munksjo
- Bell Pole and Lumber Co.
- Healthy Forests, Healthy Communities
- LP Building Products
- McCoy Construction and Forestry
- Minnesota Power
- Minnesota SFI
- Molpus Woodlands Group
- Packaging Corp. of America
- Superior Woodlands Company